A snapshot of the Charleston Promise Neighborhood:
- Decent, affordable housing is scarce.
- Nearby health care options are few.
- Transportation, without a car, is difficult and time consuming.
- There are no supermarkets within walking distance.
- The crime rate is double the national average.
Everyday life is a challenge.
Charleston Promise Neighborhood focuses its work on the 5.6-square-mile area in Charleston County called The Neck, which fits this description. Nearly a quarter of its adult residents lack high school diplomas; a majority work minimum wage jobs without benefits.
The only way out? Education.
Charleston Promise Neighborhood’s founders studied the nationally recognized Harlem Children’s Zone to determine strategies that address a complex series of needs for the area’s children.
Here’s what they found: Transformation comes from within the community by engaging and empowering residents.
Charleston Promise Neighborhood works with schools, parents and community members to help improve conditions and give every child an opportunity to thrive.
We invite you to be part of this transformation by joining The Promise today.